These adorable snowmen ornaments can double as a jingle bell, and are a fantastic craft for kids and adults alike, for the holidays and beyond!
Things you will need:
- Small to medium terra cotta pots (re-use existing pots or buy new)
- White glossy acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Festive ribbon
- Miniature black pom poms
- Small black pom poms
- Miniature orange pom poms
- Coiled yarn
- Green or red chenille stems
- Green or red pom poms
- Tacky glue
- Tweezers, if needed
1. Paint terra cotta pots on the outside and inside. Allow to dry completely. A second coat may be required. Clear the hole in the bottom of the terra cotta pot using a bamboo skewer or toothpick.
2. Cut a piece of ribbon approximately 6 inches long. Thread one end of the ribbon through the hoop end of a bell. Position the bell in the middle of the ribbon. Fold the ribbon in half and knot the ribbon just above the bell and again about one inch above the first knot.
3. Thread the ends of the ribbon through the hole in the bottom of the terra cotta pot. Using tweezers may help pull the ribbons through the hole.
4. Once the ribbon is pulled all the way through the hole, add another knot close to the cut end of the ribbon to create a way to hang the ornament. Trim the ends of the ribbon to clean up any raveling pieces.
5. Decorate the ornament using tacky glue to wrap the coiled yarn around the base of the pot as a scarf.
6. Add an orange pom pom for the nose, and 2 small black pom poms for the eyes.
7. The miniature black pom poms are for the mouth.
8. For the ear muffs, fold a chenille stem in half. Twist the chenille stem. Cut to the length desired to create the arch over the terra cotta pot. (Length depends on the size of the pot.) Glue the ends of the chenille stem in place. Over the chenille ends, glue a pom pom.
Be sure you allow it to dry completely before displaying or packaging as a gift.
Enjoy and post a photo in the comments if you do this activity, we’d love to see how yours turns out!!